Monday, August 23, 2004

Flack

I caught some good natured flack from a pal about my less than flattering visual description of Patti Smith. I pondered this awhile because I thought they may have had a valid point. I was unusually honest. I generally want to be nice but lately a part of me wants to be more real and free in what I show and tell so the bottom line came down to these three things--
First, my father gave me advice about writing a news story when I was a teenager. He said always determine what the most surprising or alarming thing you saw or heard was and tell it, tell it first.
The second thing-- and I will quote one of my favorite movies "Almost Famous", the seasoned rock writer gives this sage advice to the young man about to do his first piece for Rolling Stone Magazine... "Be honest and unmerciful". Those are powerful words.
The third-- It's a personal web log, full of fluff and occasional opinions wise or silly-- all viewed through my own personal filter of life.
Part of the issue here is Vanity (one of the seven deadly sins). It's the tricky underbelly some of us deal with on a daily basis so we want/need to be careful. I still respect the notion of honesty though as long as it's not meant to hurt anyone. Someone like Patti Smith is remarkable, able to express herself with exquisiteness. What I admire beyond measure about all entertainers and artists is that very courage to spill their insides out and share who they really are. I may not have painted a flattering visual picture of Patti but the point was that her inner beauty transcended all the outer trappings. If by some impossible chance Patti ever reads this then I want to say here and now-- Patti, you rock.

1 Comments:

Blogger karin said...

hey Friday Kahlo had a mustache too. Maybe I should try to get one!

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Content copyright protected by Copyscape website plagiarism search